Destinations, routes and tips for your next trip with MÁS
Monterrey: The Best of the “Sultana del Norte” with MÁS Rent a Car
Welcome to the "Sultana del Norte," a city where the majesty of the mountains merges with the culture and hospitality of the region. Monterrey, the capital of Nuevo León, is a destination that will captivate you with its diverse tourist options.
In this blog, we invite you to discover the top 5 recommendations for accommodations, restaurants, outdoor activities, nightlife spots, and travel tips that will make your visit to Monterrey unforgettable. Plus, what better way to explore this city than with a rental car from MÁS Rent A Car?
5 Accommodations That Will Make You Feel at Home
In Monterrey, there's a wide range of accommodations to suit all budgets and preferences. From luxury hotels to budget-friendly hostels, and options with history and personality. Here, we present five of the best accommodations you can find in this city:
- Casona Allende: If you want to experience staying in a 19th-century colonial mansion, this is the place for you. This boutique hotel is located in Monterrey's historic downtown and features rooms decorated in a rustic and cozy style. Price: $$.
- Live Aqua Urban Resort: This hotel is a masterpiece of modern architecture and design. It's situated in the exclusive municipality of San Pedro Garza García and offers breathtaking views of the city and the mountains. Its rooms are spacious, elegant, and comfortable, equipped with all the amenities you can imagine. Price: $$$$.
- Gran Hotel Ancira: This hotel is one of the most iconic and traditional in Monterrey. It has witnessed the history and development of the city. Its location is ideal for exploring the historic center and its surroundings. The rooms are classic and very comfortable. Price: $$$.
- La casa del barrio Hostal + Cocina: If you're looking for an affordable, fun, and locally flavored option, this hostel is for you. It's located in the Barrio Viejo of Monterrey, a vibrant and culturally rich area. It offers both shared and private rooms according to your preference, along with a restaurant serving delicious homemade food. Price: $.
- Four Points by Sheraton Galerías: This hotel is a practical and comfortable option for travelers seeking quality and service. Its rooms are spacious, modern, and equipped with everything you need for your rest. It also features a convention center, a pool, a gym, and a restaurant. Price: $$$.
5 Restaurants That Will Make Your Mouth Water
Monterrey's cuisine is one of the richest and most diverse in the country. Its star dish is roasted cabrito, but you can also find other delights like grilled meats, regional snacks, traditional sweets, and craft beer. Here are five restaurants you must visit to savor the best of local cuisine:
- El Gran Pastor: This restaurant is one of the most famous and renowned for its Monterrey-style roasted cabrito. The taste and quality of its meat are unmatched, as are its side dishes and sauces. It also offers other grilled meat cuts like rib-eye, sirloin, or arrachera. The atmosphere is family-friendly, and the service is fast and attentive. Price: $$$.
- Fonda el Limoncito: This hidden gem is located at the foot of Cerro del Obispado. It's a restaurant that offers delicious homemade Mexican food with a touch of Monterrey flavor. Here, you can enjoy dishes like mole, chilaquiles, charro beans, enchiladas, or steak tacos. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, and the service is excellent. Price: $$.
- Taquería Juárez: This taqueria is a classic and budget-friendly option in the city center. Its tacos are simple but tasty, and you can choose from different types of meat like asada, al pastor, tripe, or head. They also offer other typical Monterrey dishes like machaca with eggs, discada, or beef stew. The place is simple but clean and pleasant, and the service is quick and efficient. Price: $$.
- Sibau: This restaurant offers an elegant and sophisticated take on international cuisine with a Mexican touch. It is located in the heart of San Pedro Garza García and is overseen by chef Bruno Oteiza, known for his TV show "Cocina con Bruno." Here, you can enjoy dishes like seared tuna with pasilla chili sauce, huitlacoche risotto, or chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. Price: $$$$.
- El Lingote: This restaurant offers a spectacular panoramic view of Cerro de la Silla that will leave you breathless. Its specialty is international land and sea cuisine. It's a perfect place for a romantic date or a special occasion, with an elegant and romantic ambiance, and attentive and cordial service. Price: $$$.
5 Outdoor Activities That Will Take Your Breath Away
Monterrey is a city known for its natural beauty and diverse landscapes. Its mountains, rivers, waterfalls, and parks offer numerous options for nature and adventure enthusiasts. Here are five outdoor activities that will provide unforgettable experiences:
- Cerro de la Silla: This mountain is the quintessential symbol of Monterrey and one of the most impressive in the country. Its shape resembles a saddle, and it has four main peaks: Antena, Pico Norte, Pico Sur, and la Virgen. There are several routes of varying difficulty and duration to climb it, but all require good physical fitness and suitable equipment. The reward is a panoramic view of the city and its surroundings that will leave you speechless.
- Parque Fundidora and Paseo de Santa Lucía: This park is one of the most iconic and visited in Monterrey. It's a cultural, recreational, and ecological space located on the site of a former steel foundry. Here, you can find museums, concert halls, exhibitions, green areas, running or biking tracks, playgrounds, and more. Additionally, you can explore Paseo de Santa Lucía, an artificial canal connecting the park to the historic downtown, offering a pleasant boat or walking ride.
- Cerro del Obispado: This hill is another of Monterrey's highest and most important points. At its summit lies the Palacio del Obispado, housing the Regional Museum of Nuevo León. From here, you can enjoy a spectacular view of the city and its mountains. You can also visit the gardens of El Obispado, which feature fountains, sculptures, and flowers.
- Cascada Cola de Caballo: This waterfall is one of the most beautiful and famous in the state of Nuevo León. It is located in the municipality of Santiago, about 40 km from Monterrey. Its name comes from its resemblance to a horse's tail. It has a height of approximately 25 meters and falls into a clear pool of water. It's an ideal place to relax, take photos, and enjoy nature.
- Parque Ecológico La Huasteca: This park is a natural reserve located in the municipality of Santa Catarina, west of Monterrey. It's known for its rock formations, canyons, and rivers. Here, you can engage in activities like hiking, cycling, climbing, rappelling, kayaking, or camping. It's a perfect spot for adventure and ecology enthusiasts.
5 Night life Spots That Will Get You Dancing
Monterrey is a city that never sleeps and boasts a lively and diverse nightlife. There are options to suit all tastes and styles, from bars and nightclubs to comedy shows and theater. Here are five nightlife spots that will ensure you have an unforgettable night:
- Bars and Nightclubs in Barrio Viejo: The old town is a historic and cultural area of Monterrey, home to some of the city's best bars and nightclubs. Some of the most popular ones include La Chavela, Art Studios, Akbal Lounge, La Colorina, Café Iguana, and Meteoro Disco.
- Brewery Tour: If you're a craft beer enthusiast, this tour is a must. You can visit some of Monterrey's best breweries and sample their different styles and flavors. Breweries like Cervecería Obelisco, Cervecería Fausto, Sierra Madre Brewing Co., and Cervecería Albur are some of the places you can explore. You can also learn about the beer-making process.
- Stand-Up Comedy Shows: If you want to laugh heartily with the country's best comedians, don't miss the stand-up comedy shows in Monterrey. Some venues where you can catch these shows include La Fama, El Unicornio Azul, Zagar Comedy Bar, and El Club del Comediante.
- Live Music: If you're a fan of live music, Monterrey offers a wide variety of options. You can listen to everything from local independent bands to international and established artists. There's something for every taste, including rock, pop, jazz, blues, metal, indie, folk, and more. Some venues for live music include Maverik, La Palapa del Rock, McMullens, Saxy Jazz Club, and La Mitotera Bar.
- Theater: If you prefer a more cultural and artistic experience, theater is a great choice. Monterrey has a vibrant and diverse theater scene, with productions for all audiences and tastes, ranging from classics to contemporary works, including comedies, dramas, musicals, and more. Some of the theaters where you can catch these performances are Teatro Versalles, Teatro de la Ciudad, Teatro Garza Sada, and Teatro San Agustín.
5 Travel Tips to Make Your Life Easier
To ensure your trip to Monterrey is a pleasant and smooth experience, here are some travel tips to make your life easier:
- Hire a Car at MTY Airport with MÁS Rent A Car: The best way to get around Monterrey and its surroundings is by car. This offers you more freedom, convenience, and safety. Plus, it can save you time and money compared to public transportation or taxis. Therefore, we recommend renting a car at MTY Airport with MÁS Rent A Car. You can choose from a variety of models, from compact cars to SUVs, based on your needs and preferences.
- Prepare Your Travel Documents: Before traveling to Monterrey, make sure your travel documents are in order and up to date. These documents include an official ID or passport, driver's license, and a credit card. You'll need these for car rental, hotel check-in, purchasing plane tickets, or accessing certain locations.
- Plan an Itinerary: Monterrey offers numerous tourist attractions, but it can be challenging to decide which ones to visit or how to organize your time. We suggest planning an itinerary with the places you want to visit based on your interests and priorities. You can use apps like Google Maps or TripAdvisor to help create your route.
- Keep Your Belongings Secure: While Monterrey is a relatively safe city, it's not without risks or unforeseen events. Therefore, we recommend keeping your belongings secure and avoiding unnecessary valuables.
- Try Local Cuisine: One of Monterrey's biggest attractions is its cuisine, which reflects its culture and history. Don't miss the opportunity to try local food; you'll be amazed by its flavor and quality. Plus, it's a chance to learn more about the people and their traditions. Don't be afraid to experiment and try new dishes.
Monterrey: A City That Has It All
As you can see, Monterrey is a city that has it all: nature, culture, history, gastronomy, entertainment, and more. It's a destination that won't disappoint you and will leave you eager to return. So, don't hesitate any longer; book your trip to Monterrey with MÁS Rent A Car. We guarantee you'll have a unique and unforgettable experience.